From Habitation Saint-Etienne in Martinique, HSE Black Sheriff Agricole Rum is a is a blend of three-to-four-year old rum aged in bourbon barrels.
Established in 1883, Habitation Saint-Etienne (HSE) in Martinique was originally a sugar refinery extending over 400 hectares from Gros Morne to Saint Joseph. It was later purchased by Amédée Aubéry who transformed it into a farm distillery and began to modernise infrastructures. In 1909, the Simonnet family purchased it until its decline at the end of the 1980s. The estate was subsequently taken over in 1994 by Yves and José Hayot, who relaunched the brand.
Not a classic molasses-based rum, HSE Black Sheriff Agricole Rum is made from 100% pressed sugar cane juice.The sugar canes are transported to the distillery where they are washed, cut and put in mills. The extracted sugar cane juice is filtered before being placed in tanks for fermentation. Once distilled, the blended rum is aged for 3 to 4 years in ex Bourbon barrels from Kentucky.
HSE Black Sheriff Agricole Rum Tasting Notes
- Country of Origin: Martinique
- Type: Agricole Rum
- Age: 3-4 years in ex Bourbon barrels
- ABV: 40%
- Colour: dark copper
- Nose: aromas of vanilla complemented by honey along with some elegant oak, notes of fruit cake and brown sugar
- Palate: light bodied but big on flavour with vanilla and sweet tropical fruits such as mango and banana; dried fruit influence along with fruit cake and cinnamon spice with a hint of oak in the backgorund
- Finish: good length and complexity, well rounded with , a fresh green herbal note on the finish
- Price: RRP $99 AUD for 700ml bottle
Well rounded and sweet, HSE Black Sheriff Agricole Rum is best suited for sipping neat or enjoying on the rocks.
In partnership with Spirits of France, distributors of HSE Black Sheriff Agricole Rum in Australia.