From Bodegas William & Humbert in Spain comes Dos Maderas 5+5 Rum, a uniquely blended and matured rum that undergoes a three stage maturation process.
The name “Dos Maderas” means “two woods” in Spanish. The rum is a blend of four pot still and column still rums from Guyana and Barbados aged for 5 years in ex-bourbon casks. The rum is then transported to Spain where it undergoes two additional maturations. The blend is aged for another 3 years in a solera system in 20 year old casks that previously held Palo Cortado Dos Cortados, a dry, aromatic sherry. The rum is then matured for a further 2 years in 20 year old Don Guido ex Pedro Ximenez casks hence the 5+5 name.
Dos Maderas 5+5 Rum Tasting Notes
- Country of Origin: Barbados and Guyana
- Type: a combination of column and pot still rums
- Age: matured in ex-bourbon casks for 5 years, then 3 years in ex Palo Cortado (dry sherry) casks then 2 years in ex Pedro Ximenez casks
- ABV: 40%
- Colour: dark mahogany with a golden tinge
- Nose: oak influence comes through at first followed by sherry sweetness, vanilla, toffee, figs and raisins
- Palate: viscous, multi layered and complex palate, starts a little sweet, big and bold then progresses to a drier note
- Finish: extremely long finish, ends on a nutty note mainly hazelnuts from the Palo Cortado Jerez cask finish
- RRP: $110 AUD
Dos Maderas 5+5 Rum is a complex and layered rum that brings together a fine balance of sweet, dry and oak notes. The oak is omnipresent but not overpowering. A large sherry influence is at play with the ex-bourbon character in the background. A fine rum for sipping neat or with a large block of ice. Use it in cocktails such as a rum old fashioned.
Dos Maderas 5+5 Rum is a rum that fans of sherried whiskies would appreciate with a very long finish that keeps on giving.
In partnership with Cerbaco.
Photo Credit: Supplied