Armagnac is known to be a dark spirit but much like American moonshine, white dog and even Calvados, an unaged version is making waves into cocktail lists.
Château du Tariquet Blanche Armagnac hails from Domaine du Tariquet, a family-owned Armagnac-producing business in the Bas-Armagnac region. The unaged spirit is made from 100% Folle Blanche, the oldest varietal of Armagnac, renowned for its finesse, suppleness and fruity character. The production process is similar to Armagnac but the spirit is double distilled to refine the flavour and remove the rustic elements. The spirit is then rested in stainless steel tanks for three months after distillation.
Château du Tariquet Blanche Armagnac Tasting Notes
- Country of Origin: France
- ABV: 46%
- Age: unaged, rested for 3 months in stainless steel tanks
- Colour: clear and transparent, slight viscosity in the glass
- Nose: fruity and floral notes followed by ripe orchard fruit, mainly pears with a hint of nuttiness
- Palate: smooth and textural with soft esters, the palate starts a little sweet with delicate fruity and floral notes, ripe orchard fruit follows with distinctive pear notes, ripe melon and the nuttiness of almonds on the finish with a hint of pepper; youthful and vibrant
- Finish: long and warming finish
- RRP: $84 AUD
How to Drink Château du Tariquet Blanche Armagnac
Château du Tariquet Blanche is served chilled and makes a good trou gascon or digestif in between meals. In cocktails, it is a versatile base for a range of recipes and can be used as an alternative to vodka, gin, pisco, cachaça and white rum.
The delicate fruit-floral flavours play well with in lime and citrus fruit, red berries, coffee, mint, kiwi fruit, bananas and chocolate. Use it in a sour style cocktail like the Pisco Sour, Mojito, in fruit-based drinks and Tiki drinks, with a splash of tonic water. Other cocktail suggestions include substituting it for gin in The Last Word, a Crusta style drink or simply served very chilled with a dash of creme de violette.
In partnership with Cerbaco, distributors of Château du Tariquet Blanche Armagnac in Australia.